Finally, let us think about some reasons why the Book of Ecclesiastes is important to study:
(1) Ecclesiastes reminds us that our lives are weak. We are certain to die, and after that, God will be our judge (Ecclesiastes 2:16; Ecclesiastes 12:14).
(2) Ecclesiastes shows how we desire the wrong things in life. We love pleasure and wealth. But these things cannot last, and they cannot really satisfy us (Ecclesiastes 5:10-11). We try to please ourselves and we follow our emotions and desires. We trust in these things, which can never really benefit us (Ecclesiastes 2:10-11). And when we trust in such things, we are not trusting God.
(3) Ecclesiastes teaches how weak human effort really is. A personís work cannot even earn that person a right relationship with God (Ecclesiastes 6:7). Everyone does wrong things against God (Ecclesiastes 7:20).
(4) Ecclesiastes teaches how great Godís work is. He created us (Ecclesiastes 12:1), and his work is perfect (Ecclesiastes 7:29). We have a duty to respect him (Ecclesiastes 5:1-2) and to obey his law (Ecclesiastes 12:13).
(5) Ecclesiastes gives an honest account of the state of this world. It explains how much poor people suffer (Ecclesiastes 4:1-3). It warns that important and powerful people are often wicked (Ecclesiastes 3:16). It shows that rulers are often unfair (Ecclesiastes 10:5-7).
(6) Ecclesiastes explains why good people suffer (Ecclesiastes 8:14). It is a result of the state of the world. The same kind of good and bad events happen in the lives of everyone in this world (Ecclesiastes 9:2). But still, God is looking after his own people, although often we cannot see this (Ecclesiastes 9:1).
(7) Ecclesiastes urges us in the most powerful manner to choose a right relationship with God (Ecclesiastes 12:1). It tells us about the effects of death (Ecclesiastes 12:7). It informs us about Godís judgement (Ecclesiastes 12:14) and it describes hell (Ecclesiastes 9:4-6). It warns us that our situation is desperate (Ecclesiastes 11:1-4). The only right decision that we can make about these things is to serve God (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14).
Next part: Ecclesiastes - a 12 week study guide.
Please use the links at the top of the page to find our other articles in this series. If you find these articles useful, you will like our book, available from Amazon.
You can download our articles on several Bible books, free, from our download page (including our free 1000+ page course book).
© 2019, Keith Simons.